Sunday, March 11, 2007

A New Home for the Broad Beans

While I left Bonzo digging (so much digging left to do!) I pottered around doing the fun stuff like planting out the broad beans we started off indoors. Someone at work said the pigeons love the young shoots so we rigged a temporary cover for them with netting and sticks.



Seeing as we were making this cover up as we went along I think we did pretty well. I'm guessing that the shoots will only be this vulnerable when they're short (Bonzo reckons pigeons will be too lazy to nibble them on the wing) so as they grow we'll use the netting for the new peas. Mind you, I might have been a bit too over eager when I sowed the peas. Maybe we should sow a few more...

I also sowed a line of carrots the length of one bed and either side sowed a line of bedfordshire onions on one side and on the other, garlic (hope it isn't too late to sow garlic!) and red onions.

Now, we seem to be the only people sowing onions, everyone else is using sets. This worries me. Is growing bulb onions from seeds just impossible? I might buy some sets too just to be on the safe side.

I'm off (away, not off from work unfortunately) now for a month which I know is bad timing as it feels like the allotment is just getting gowing now. Bonzo Baby has promised to dig the last beds while I'm gone and I'm hoping he'll sow the rest of the carrots, the parsnips and leeks. Crikey, I've left him with a lot of work! We haven't even started on the spud beds!

So, I hand you over to the 'King of Spades': Bonzo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a real probelm with pigeons at my allotment. They haven't ever gone for beans but they love brassicas and will peck out fully grown cabbages if given half a chance so we have to keep the brassica beds netted all the time. A bit of a pain to set up and also a pain for weeding but there's no other option!
http://organicallotment.typepad.com

Bonzo Baby said...

Hiya Liz,

We've not got any brassicas yet, but it's worth knowing the netting might not be necessary as it definitely makes weeding more complicated.

Cheers,

Bonzo