Saturday, March 03, 2007

Three Beds Good

We made it down the plot today (Saturday) for a good few hours and got enough done to be pleased with ourselves without our backs hurting too much.

We started and finished the third raised bed. We are now a happy three bed allotment family.



The top two beds will be for the legumes and I started them off by (possibly rashly) sowing peas today.

We've still plenty more digging to do... But I feel like we're getting there. Especially as Bonzo goes down tomorrow (I have to work, sulk sulk).



I also thought I'd show you the finished compost bins too (we finished them last week when it was too wet to dig- but also too wet for photos).



I like Bonzo's design. He sank the bottom of the pallets into the ground for extra stability and uses sawn off pallet sections for the adjustable front. We have one bin for filling now and one to fill next year while the first lot rots down. I don't think we'll get that much compost from the bins to use in the allotment (there are only 2 of us filling it) but it feels so much better than sending it all to landfill and that's more the point to us.

1 comment:

Andrea Fahy said...

Hi! I just picked up some pallets for a compost bin; a google search brought me to your blog. Your bin system looks good. Did you use the pallets in their whole form or take them apart? Any tips would be great!