Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Flowers on the Allotment

My sweet peas have started to arrive!

I don't remember what variety they were. I may have even cheated and bought a little pot full of seedlings to plant out. That's right, with my birthday money hoard. I've been picking them as they appear (only a couple so far) so that the flowers will keep on coming, and they smell lovely in the flat. I planted them in the beanie bed amongst the peas, right at the back of the allotment. I think next year I shall sow them near the door so I see and smell them straight away.

Here's something else I planted at the end of one of my vegetable beds:

I've no idea what that is either. I MUST/WILL keep better records.

Then there's marigolds in bloom now and hopefully sunflowers and lupins to come. The sunflowers have been growing extremely slowly though. Maybe I was trying to fit too much into the bed and they're not getting enough light. They are right up against the boundary hedge. Hmm. SUN-flowers. You think I'd have got the hint before sowing those!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely purple bloom is an Osteospernum

Frankie Baby said...

Thank you jean! I'm really happy with it, it is a lovely purple.

Anonymous said...

It IS an osteospermum and it should flower all summer if you keep it watered!

Frankie Baby said...

Thanks soilman. I have commited the name osteospermum to by little garden notebook (seriously underused little garden notebook).

I think it's getting plenty of water now!