Sunday, April 22, 2007

Goodies



The bees are loving the rosemary.

What a good day. We arrived at the plot today and I immediately got frustrated with my crappy, way-too-big-for-me gloves so we left almost straight away again for the garden center. I remembered I had some birthday money to spend, and well, I went a little wild!


Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me!

The hoard:
  • One rhubarb plant. Hey, I could have waited and waited for someone to give me a little bit of root, but I am just far too impatient for that.
  • Nine, I repeat, NINE strawberry plants. I can't wait. Ah. We wont be getting many this year I suppose. Never mind, we'll be feasting next year. We got 3 plants each of 3 different varieties
  • One small tray of red cabbage plants. I forgot to buy the seeds and well, it IS my birthday...
  • A pot of sweet pea plants to brighten up the few eating peas that made it so far (damn you evil weevils)
  • Window sill propagator. This is my brand new tomato plan.
  • AND a pair of posh gardening gloves that fit perfectly and are all soft and lovely on the inside
The trowel was from a friend. And a very nice trowel it is too, sporting a cutting edge, and a ruler.

We weeded and weeded and weeded, and I rigged up the pea support. Does it look like overkill?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've taken a picture of my pea support structure! In the past, have used the "pea and bean" netting (not easy to rig up), chicken wire (edges a bit sharp), canes and string.

It was my birthday last week. My mother gave me 3 small storage/preserving jars (last year, we had no jars and the shops weren't selling preserving ones so we bought cheapest jam for the jars!). With some birthday money, bought some more module tray things. For one birthday, I asked for a bin so it could be converted into a worm bin - still not converted but is a bin down the allotment!

Strawberries - well, I think you were well restrained (unlike us!)

Mark said...

Hi, thats not a bad hoard with your birthday money. Since starting my blog last week it is reassuring that there are so many like minded slighly nutty people out there,it is quite comforting.I like how you have the labels down the right hand side, how do you do that?
I have added your link to my blog.
Cheers Mark

Frankie Baby said...

Thanks mark and Multiveg

I hope this mess of string and twigs is up to the job. I had planned on using netting but I wasn't clever enough to put it up before the plants grew and after that it all seemed just too complicated!

I see you've worked out the labels mark, sorry for being a a bit slow!