Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Evil Weevils

19/04/07 Edited to submit evidence of weevil attack:


My poor legumes bed. I had planted out the broad beans I started up inside and sowed a few more broad beans and all my peas (a few of the peas under cloches). But disaster! The bean/pea weevil (don't know if they are the same) have been nibbling round the edges of everything that wasn't protected under a cloche. Now everything has doily leaves! The broad beans I started up inside and the peas under cloches look like they will cope but everything else? I doubt it.

I was reading around and it seems a common problem this year. It seems the only things, well, the only organic things to do is to try and squish as many as we can while we're there and start some more off inside to plant out when they're big enough to cope.

No comments: