Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Easter Plot Fest No 2: Pea Sign!

We have Pea Sign!



Ok, so these are best two, the other 4 or 5 look a little weak (I wanted to say weedy). We used cloches to grow the peas on one side of the bed but then ran out of cloches. Peas were sown on the other side of the bed but either have yet to appear or have been had by the slugs or pigeons. We'll see if they come up. I sowed a few extra peas on the empty side over Easter, trying not to disturb the soil too much in case anything was going to come up. We'll see what happens. I might grow a few plants inside to take out.

The broad bean plants are looking good. I was going to say healthy but several have been nibbled round the edges and they have some suspicious little back spots.




The extra few I sowed in the gaps (my just-in-case beans) are starting to come up too.

So legume bed No.1 is well and truly on it's way!

3 comments:

She Who Digs said...

Hi Frankie, thanks for stopping by. I will link to your site next time I'm updating. Your peas & beans are coming on a treat! I have this strange fear that nothing I plant straight on the plot will come up and I way south of you on the coast!
Happy growing!
SWD

Frankie Baby said...

Thanks SWD!

The broad beans I started off indoors but thinking about it, if they're supposed to be so hardy I probably could have sown them directly outside anyway. The main reason for sowing straight outside (for me) is just the lack of window sill room.

Unknown said...

Hi Frankie,

I too have some black spots on my broad beans and nibbled edges. They are also covered in ants. Do you think all three are linked?