Sunday, May 06, 2007

Beanie Beds: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly



The Good. I've finally rigged up the supports for the future runner beans and for the sugar snap peas. I'm still starting the seedlings inside and planting them out when they get 4" or so high. Or they are evicted to make room on the window sill for the next thing which usually happens first...



The Bad. These broad beans really don't look good. The flowers all seem to be going manky and there's small black blotches on the plants. I don't know what it is, or what to do.



The Ugly. The 3 bordered beds are completely infested with ants. I was doing a bit off weeded at one end when the soil just erupted with ants. I've read somewhere that I can put them off by watering the infected area with water that's had cloves soaking in it. Anyone got any other ideas?

6 comments:

Cottage Smallholder said...

I'm not sure what is happening to your broad beans but the RHS has lots of free advice on their site. Here is the link in relation to broad bean fungal diseases http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0705/broadbeans.asp.

A bit depressing I am afraid.

Frankie Baby said...

Thanks for the link. Doesn't seem to be any thing I can do about it if it is this rust/chocolate spot :(

I do wonder if the beans are suffering from a few ailments at once.

Anonymous said...

Commiserations. Your bean bed looks so wonderful, too. This does look a bit like chocolate spot, although I've only ever seen it once before. I don't think it kills the plants, just reduces the yield. So you should still get something for supper!
I have ants, too. They're a bugger. My solution is to scald them with boiling water poured into their main nest. Doesn't get rid of them, but it sure slows 'em down!!

She Who Digs said...

Hi Frankie Baby
Your plot looks fab, and the soil really good for growing!
On our site you can only fill up your water butts with a hose- not actually water with one (for ‘tap-time’ reasons rather than water wastage ones)
I’d say that this is a good compromise if you’re like me and haven’t got a shed or greenhouse roof to collect water from. The ants are probably after any blackfly on your beans, so may help rather than harm. Happy planting! SWD

Anonymous said...

I had chocolate spot last year and yours doesn'tlook half as bad mine was. Has to be really bad to kill the plants but do remember don't compost the plants when you pull them up - burn them!

Frankie Baby said...

Thanks soilman. I think I'll give the boiling water a try, even if I do have to take the camping stove to the allotment. I'll just have a cup of fresh tea too :). I am glad to hear I might still get something out of the crop.

SWD
I'm still trying to persuade B about the water butt. I fear he may have a point about it not being very fair to the other ploters though. As for the ants and black fly. I read that the ants are just after the sticky 'dew' that the aphids are producing and so are actually look after the little blighters, putting off the predators. Damn it, those ants are sooooo out of here!

Thanks Liz for the reminder to burn what's left of the beans afterwards. It's a shame though. One of the things I like about the legumes is that they feed the soil. I'm sure the soil will still benifit a bit, just not as much as if I'd leave the roots in. Nem mind...